"Alex was such a gift to us during the birthing of our fourth son" (Sam, 2017)
What you need to know
Living near Stroud, Gloucestershire I am perfectly situated to support families throughout the Cotswolds, Bristol and parts of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.
I will use my extensive experience to support you to birth with confidence. You'll feel reassured that your choices are respected, whether you are birthing for the first time or are seeking something different after a previously difficult birthing journey.
I know that supporting you to have a positive birth experience will help you step into parenthood feeling like the warrior you truly are.
Are you planning on having a hospital birth but feel that you need some extra help to navigate the maternity system? That's great! I have worked extensively in Gloucester Royal Hospital and the local midwife led units supporting women who are birthing for the first time and those having amazing VBAC experiences.
Aiming for a home birth and feel like you could do with an extra pair of hands and some reassurance? I'm pretty nifty at filling a birth pool and know exactly how to help your partner to support you throughout your labour with non-medicalised coping techniques.
After discovering my inner birth geek during my second pregnancy I trained in 2013 with Michel Odent. A world renowned obstetrician, Odent has, throughout his career, pioneered 'woman centred' maternity care.
I balance working as a birth worker with raising my 3 kids, looking after our assortment of animals, riding my horse and hanging out with my husband and friends.
I became a birth worker because I know all women and birthing people deserve to be nurtured and supported throughout pregnancy and birth, receive continuity of care, and have their choices respected.
I cover all of Gloucestershire, Bristol, parts of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.
Womb yoga and Yoga nidra with Uma Dinsmore Tumi (Oct 2014)
Supporting Every Birth with Michelle Every (June 2015)
Motherwarming - Mothering the Mother (October 2015)
Spinning Babies (April 2016)
Practical Hypnosis for birth (Feb 2018)
Closing the Bones ritual (November 2018)
LGBTQ+ Competency for birth and beyond (July 2020)
Bio-mechanics for birth (October 2020)
Cultural Competency (November 2020)
See what the research says about doulas
Take a look at the latest research about the positive effects on labour of having continuous support.
- Cochrane review of the effects of continuous emotional support in labour. Also included in this article is research on the effects of early and prolonged skin to skin contact after birth.
- Huffington Post Article about a reduction in the likelihood of having a C-section if you have a doula
- Evidence Based Birth - How having a doula differs from other forms of support during labour and the impact doulas can have on a labour
Some useful sites for more information about positive birth
- Association of Improving Midwifery Services
- Birthrights - an amazing charity supporting the rights of birthing women and people
- Homebirthers and Hopefuls
- Primal Health database - Michel Odent's research database for all things relating to the relationship between birth and health
- Home Birth Support UK (FB Group)
If you would like more information about breastfeeding/chestfeeding these organisations are the best place to start:
Copyright © 2021 The Original Birth Connection | A DoulaSites Website | Privacy & Cookies